I have discovered that getting bulk uncooked beans is the most amazing deal. I get around 500g bag for around 1 euro but that bag gives me a total of 4 meals when it is the standard Beans & Bacon day. An additional benefit is that I am not eating out of something stored in a can. I know, I know, all the cans are supposed to be safe now but it honestly tastes 10x’s better soaking and cooking your own beans. PLUS, I have found the leftover liquid can be used for other things, like a savory soup base or even to make cookies in place of using egg whites.
Indian Inspired Roasted Chickpeas
|Indian Inspired Roasted Chickpeas|
- 2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Stir together the chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, brown sugar, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, garam masala, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt in a mixing bowl. Spread the chickpea mixture in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven until the chickpeas are dark brown in spots, crisp, and have shrunk quite a bit, 25 to 30 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time. Cool to room temperature before serving.